Crystal O’Guin, DNP, CRNA
Crystal O’Guin, DNP, CRNA is an Assistant Professor in the Virginia Commonwealth University Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice Program. She is the course coordinator for Principles and Practice courses throughout the curriculum. Dr. O’Guin also team-teaches in courses throughout the program in both the classroom and simulation lab. In 2023, she will also be overseeing doctoral research projects as a first reader and advisor to VCU DNAP students and is currently based at the Northern Virginia campus.
Dr. O’Guin graduated from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center DNP program in Memphis, TN. As a DNP student, she explored postoperative cognitive dysfunction in the elderly and completed her doctoral project on ‘Acupressure in the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting’ (Thweatt, K., O’Guin, C., Finder, S.). She also holds a Master’s Degree in Nursing Education from Union University in Jackson, TN. She regularly speaks at the state and national level and has published in several peer-reviewed journals.
Prior to joining VCU in the fall of 2022, she was an Assistant Professor and the Research Director in the Georgetown University DNAP program (2018-2022). She continues to serve at Georgetown as an Adjunct Faculty. She also previously taught in a BSN program and worked in staff development as an educator in the hospital setting. She was the hospital Course Director of ACLS and PALS at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital from 2008 to 2015 where she started and coordinated a high-fidelity simulation program and developed a hospital-wide cadaveric and simulation-based oncological-specific pediatric emergency training program.
In addition to her role at the University, Dr. O’Guin is currently practicing anesthesia at the bedside in the outpatient setting. She also served as a preceptor to nurse anesthesia students in the clinical setting.
Her current interests include perioperative arrest and crisis management. Dr. O’Guin volunteers on professional committees at the state and national level. She is a member of the AANA Faculty Stabilization Task Force (2020- present). She has also served on the NBCRNA Continued Professional Certification Assessment Standard Setting Committee (2018) and the AANA Foundation Spring & Fall Grant and Poster Review Committees (2019-present). She was a member of the group attending the AANA Inaugural Health Policy Institute class at George Mason University (2019). She was the Sigma Theta Tau Chapter Counselor for the DNAP students at Georgetown, member of the Executive Council for the Georgetown University Honor Council (2019-2022), and is an article reviewer and editor for the International Student Journal of Nurse Anesthesia. She is a member of the Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists and serves on the Education Committee and the PAC Committee.
Scholarly publications and presentations have included:
- White, M., Dingley, E., O’Guin, C., Schirle, L., & Eshkevari, L. (2022) Chronic opioid use after surgery: Rural Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists strategies to mitigate chronic opioid use and their view of their role in the opioid crisis. AANA Journal, 90(6), 417–423.
- Day, C.M. F., Lakatos, K., Bowman Dalley, C., Eshkevari, L., O’Guin, C. (2022) The experience of burnout in the SRNA population and association with situational and demographic factors. AANA Journal, 90(6), 447–453.
- O'Guin, C. (2022). Pharmacology for the aging population: Best practices. Nurse Anesthesiology Faculty Associates (NAFA) 41st Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL. (1 Class A Credit).
- O'Guin, C. (2022). Beyond ACLS: 10 Essential adaptations to perioperative arrest every provider must know. Nurse Anesthesiology Faculty Associates (NAFA) 41st Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL. (1 Class A Credit).
- Masselink, T., Hardinger, J., Bowman-Dalley, C., O’Guin, C., Hendrix, K., Crowell, N., & Eshkevari, L. (2022). Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists’ occupational exposure to inhalational anesthetic agents: A survey of anesthetic gas safety. BMC Anesthesiology, 22(1), 375. https://doi.org/10.1186/
- Thai, A., Varner, C., O’Guin, C., Hendrix, K., Eshkevari, L. (2022) Minimum Atropine dosing in pediatric patients: Does CRNA practice reflect current recommendations? AANA Journal, 90(4), 303–309.
- Lee, R., Anderson, M., Bonanno, L., Everson, M., Moore, E., O’Guin, C., O’Sullivan, C., Thompson, J., Wallace Kazar, M. (June 2022 online content). Supporting the Foundation of Nurse Anesthesia Education: A Report of the Faculty Stabilization Task Force. AANA Journal.
- Grogan, M., Crowell, N. A., Dalley, C. B., & O’Guin, C. (2022). Identifier Bouffants: An Exploration of the Impact on Verbal Communication Among Interdisciplinary Operating Room Personnel. AANA Journal, 90(1), 27–33.
- O’Guin, C. (2022). Minimizing Postoperative Cognitive Dysfunction in Elderly Patients. MSNAF 6th Annual Educational Weekend. Memphis, TN.
- O’Guin, C. (2022). Prone Positioning: Pearls, Problems, and Possibilities. VANA Annual Cherry Blossom Meeting. Ashburn., VA
- O’Guin, C. (2022). Disposal Practices in the Operating Room. VANA Winter Workshop. Richmond, VA. (1 Class A Credit).
- Gu, X., Eshkevari, L., Powell, T., Titus, A., O’Guin, C. (2021). Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists’ management of the perioperative do-not-resuscitate order: evaluating trends in required reconsideration. AANA Journal, 89(6). 491-500.
- Caine Richards, K., Richards, J., Slaven, S. O’Guin, C., Potter, B., Bowman Dalley, C. (2021). Estimation of surgical blood loss by anesthesia and surgical trainees: Impact of an educational intervention on inter-rater reliability. AANA Journal, 89(6). 467-475.
- Bowman Dalley, C. & O’Guin, C. (2020). Updates in local anesthetic systemic toxicity management. VANA Virtual Winter Workshop.
- O’Guin, C. (2020). Updates in perioperative arrest. VANA Virtual Winter Workshop.
- O’Guin, C. & Bowman Dalley, C. (2020). This is the LAST thing I want to say. AANA 2020 Virtual Congress. (1 Class A Credit).
- Bui, M.C., O’Guin, C., Litchfield, J., and Lea, J. (2020). An exploration of the strategies CRNAs employ to maintain monitoring vigilance and alertness during surgical procedures. AANA Annual Congress Poster; AANA Foundation.
- O’Guin, C. (2019). Brain Health Initiative: What is it, why now, and how can I make a difference? Continuing Education Course; AANA ELearn (1 Class A Credit).
- O’Guin, C. (August 2019). Unique Aspects of Perioperative Arrest. AANA 2019 Annual Congress. Chicago, IL.
- O’Guin, C. (May 2019). Prone Positioning: Pearls, Problems, Possibilities. MSNAF 6th Annual Educational Weekend. Memphis, TN.
- O’Guin, C. (2017). Success factors for SRNA’s entering the clinical setting. UTHSC Scrub Cap Ceremony. Memphis TN.
- Thweatt, K., O’Guin, C., Finder, S. (2016). Acupressure in the prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Poster Presentation: Elinor F. Reed Spring 2016 Distinguished Visiting Professorship. Memphis,TN. (1stPlace Award for Advancing Evidence in Clinical Practice).
- Bigham, M. T., Logsdon, T. R., Manicone, P. E., Landrigan, C. P., Hayes, L. W., Randall, K. H., Grover, P., Collins, S.B., Ramirez, D.E., O’Guin, C.O., Williams, C.I., Warnick, R.J, & Sharek, P. J. (2014). Decreasing handoff-related care failures in children’s hospitals. Pediatrics, 134 (2). e572-579.
- O’Guin, C. (2012). PALS updates: treatment innovations in emergency Care. APHON Counts, Vol. 26 (1) Spring Edition. APHON: Glenview, IL.
- O’Guin, C. (March 2011). Resuscitation updates. Grand rounds: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Memphis, TN.
- O’Guin, C. (2009). Pediatric sedation and distraction. Society of Nuclear Medicine. Washington D.C.
- O’Guin, C. (2007). Typhlitis. Domestic Affiliate Regional Conference. Memphis, TN.