Diversity Equity and Inclusion Statement
The College of Health Professions (CHP) prioritizes the core value of individual dignity, and strives to promote a culture of diversity, inclusivity, and equity in a supportive learning and work environment. We are committed to creating a community that embraces and honors students’, staff and faculty members’ diverse backgrounds, identities and lived experiences including race, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic class, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, and disability.
Every CHP student deserves an exceptional education that includes learning to effectively serve individuals and communities that reflect the rich diversity of the Commonwealth of Virginia. CHP Faculty and staff are responsible for creating an educational and research environment that is welcoming and inclusive of all students. Faculty and staff use instructional approaches that foster intellectual contributions while encouraging critical thinking and freedom of expression. Our faculty have the expertise to lead efforts in ensuring patients, consumers, community members, families, and communities receive high-touch, respectful, and humanizing support within the context of evolving health care technology.
We commit to this statement because it is consistent with the values of our College and of Virginia Commonwealth University as represented in our strategic plan. A climate of inclusion and diversity aligns with an overwhelming body of evidence-based health care, decades of health and workplace research. Finally, a culture of inclusivity and diversity is imperative if we want to meet our College’s responsibility to train effective health care professionals.
To promote diversity, equity, and inclusion, the College of Health Professions will:
- Create communication and marketing materials that speak to all;
- Foster best practices in holistic hiring and admissions processes;
- Facilitate awareness and understanding of people from different backgrounds;
- Promote a representative community of leaders, faculty, staff and students;
- Develop a dedicated and effective leadership team that emphasizes diversity, equity, and inclusivity;
- Foster international and domestic multicultural experiences, collaborations, and partnerships.